Photobucket

September 22, 2007

Blood From a Stone


Republican Mayor of San Diego, Jerry Sanders, has broken my heart with his shockingly emotional statement revealing his new stance on equal marriage rights.

I've been revelling as much as anyone else in the rash of gay sex controversies dogging our Republican legislative body. Until I saw this video, I had almost forgotten how much better it would be for our adversaries to genuinely understand and embrace our position than to see them all go down in faggoty flames. It may be forgotten tomorrow, but with this video, the rules of the game have shifted a little bit-- in the nation as well as within myself.

This coincides with my learning Mahatma Gandhi's Seven Blunders of the Modern World from Galen this weekend. Gandhi called these disbalances "passive violence" which fuel the active violence of crime, rebellion, and war. They are:
1. Wealth without work


2. Pleasure without conscience


3. Knowledge without character


4. Commerce without morality


5. Science without humanity


6. Worship without sacrifice


7. Politics without principle

To these, Arun Gandhi added:
8. Rights Without Responsibilities

Suffice to say I have as much work ahead of me on these as Jerry Sanders does on his next campaign for office...

Via MetaFilter

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was amazing...nobody clapped when he left the room, but I would have.